The gallery is often referred to as bowling alley-esque due to its long, narrow orientation. So we figured, why not?
The Anderson Gallery Social Committee (AGSC) is hosting a GALLERY BOWL for Drake students (from any department, come one come all) on Thursday, Jan. 22 at 7PM. Join us for ‘fun you never knew you wanted.’
It’s free – you just need to sign up by emailing Karly O’Connor, our intern, at karly(dot)conner(at)drake(dot)edu.
Free food, free bad music, free fun. And, a cash prize to the best gallery bowler.
See you there.
The Anderson Gallery Social Committee will host PICTURE PARODY in the Weeks Gallery this February
That’s right. We’ll be staging a mini-exhibition of works produced by Drake students while ‘fooling around with art history’ in the Weeks Gallery (2nd floor, Harmon Fine Arts Center) February 27 through March 13. The online art blog Hyperallergic recently featured a post with some great examples of a very similar endeavor. Check it out for some inspiration!
Want to participate? Here’s how:
- Choose an iconic work of art (any time period, from anywhere in the world) and re-stage it. This part’s up to you. Use friends, family, strangers, pets. Or make it a solo-project. Up to you!
- Take a digital image. Think about your composition. Make it work.
- Print it out. Use a heavy paper. It doesn’t have to be photo paper, but that works, too! Keep it 8×10 or smaller.
- Bring it to the Anderson Gallery front desk on Thursday, Feb 12 between noon and 8PM. Can’t make it? Give it to a friend to drop off. Make sure you
know the title and artist of the original work you are parodying. There will be a short form for you to fill out at the gallery as part of your submission.
- Join us in the Weeks Gallery on Friday, February 27 at 5PM for the award ceremony. Cash prizes for Best in Show and Runner Up. Our thanks to the Anderson Gallery for sponsorship of the awards!
This event is open to Drake students from any and all departments!
Not a student? Still want to participate? We hope faculty, staff, other interested parties will join in – these submissions will be displayed in a non-competitive category in the Weeks Gallery.
Questions? Contact us.